Accused Bondi Attackers Operated Independently and Did Not Instruction in the Southeast Asian Nation, Police State.
The two suspected attackers who carried out the lethal shooting at a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach, that took 15 lives, appear to have operated independently, according to Australian law enforcement.
Police additionally revealed that Sajid Akram, 50, and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram, 24, travelled to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans involved arriving in the main city Manila before traveling onward that same day to Davao City. The pair returned to Sydney on 29 November.
No Evidence of Preparation During Visit
Investigators have stated the duo did not partake in any type of terrorist instruction or "planning" during their visit in the Philippines. Early inquiries from local officials indicate they "rarely left" their accommodation.
The attack—labeled as Australia's deadliest firearm massacre since 1996—has been officially classified as a act of terrorism.
"Our teams are actively analyzing the footage," the commissioner said, noting that early reviews suggest that "these individuals are suspected to have operated independently."
Australian Federal Police Chief Krissy Barrett told reporters on Tuesday that CCTV footage tracking the alleged gunmen's whereabouts in the Philippines had been provided to domestic investigators.
"Our investigation shows little to no indication to support the idea these accused individuals were members of a wider network, or were directed by overseas entities to execute an act of violence," the police chief said.
Yet, the men were also not in the Philippines on a leisure trip, Commissioner Barrett clarified. She emphasized that, as the probe is still active, fresh information might surface.
Inspiration and Court Proceedings
Earlier, Australian leader Anthony Albanese said it seems both alleged gunmen were "inspired by the so-called Islamic State" ideology.
During the attack, Sajid Akram was fatally shot by police. He and his son Naveed—reportedly carrying firearms—are accused of having shot attendees at the Hanukkah event.
Naveed Akram, who was wounded after the shooting, has been formally accused of 59 charges. These encompass 15 charges of murder and one count of carrying out a act of terrorism. He is expected to appear in court in April.
Immigration Details
In the aftermath following the attack, border officials in the Philippines reported that the father had arrived in the country using an Indian passport, while his son used an domestic passport.
The duo had declared the metropolis of Davao as their final destination. Their booked journey back to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a large metropolis on the eastern side of Mindanao, the Philippines' main southern island. The region is known because, Islamist fighters have been known to operate in less developed parts of central and south-western Mindanao.